Downtown Portland, circa 1912 at SW 5th and Morrison Street. On the left edge of the photo is the Pioneer Courthouse. Just to the west of that is The Portland Hotel built in 1890. The hotel was built at the cost of $1,000,000 and 4,000,000 bricks. It stands where Pioneer courthouse square is today. On the right side of the photo where all the people in hats are standing is the old Meier & Frank store. It was a five-story building that took up half a block. Then the structure was razed to make way for a new sixteen-story building and Portland’s first skyscraper.